Mancetter, north Warwickshire, is a settlement along the Roman road of Watling Street. There is evidence that small quarry pits were dug during several periods in Mancetter’s past, so it is possible that the Romans may have used Mancetter stone to maintain Watling Street.
The first Ordnance Survey map in 1887 shows quarrying in the Mancetter area (highlighted in yellow). Eventually there would be three separate workings. These are now known as the Jubilee, Oldbury and Purley quarries. It also shows the local transport network. A tramway runs from the quarry north east to a wharf on the Coventry Canal (highlighted in blue). The canal was used for transporting materials from the quarry and is clearly visible, along with its tow path. Beyond the canal is the railway (now the West Coast Mainline), built in 1848, running from London to Glasgow.