Information for record number MWA13468:
Moreton Manor, Village Street, Moreton Morrell

Summary Moreton Manor was formerly known as Moreton Hall and dates to circa 1600.
What Is It?  
Type: Manor House, Timber Framed Building
Period: Modern (1600 AD - 2050 AD)
Where Is It?  
Parish: Moreton Morrell
District: Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire
Grid Reference: SP 31 55
(Data represented on this map shows the current selected record as a single point, this is for illustrative purposes only and does not represent an accurate or complete representation of archaeological sites or features)
Level of Protection National - Listed Building (Grade: II)
Sites & Monuments Record
Description

 
Source Number  

1 Moreton Manor is a much altered house. It is Grade II Listed, mainly due to a surviving fragment of what was evidently a high status early-17th century house. By the 19th century, the much reduced dwelling was a farmhouse, but was aggrandised and considerably extended in the late-Victorian or early-Edwardian period. Most of the building's present appearance and much of its internal d├ęcor dates from this period.
2 Formerly known as: Moreton Hall Moreton Morrell. Manor house. Circa 1600, with some 18th century work to late 19th-20th century wings to east and north. 17th century wing of limestone ashlar with flush quoins; gabled Welsh slate roof with ashlar stack; rest of building of brick and timber-frame with brick infill, slate roof and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 17th century south-west wing has moulded plinth, drip course over ground floor and coped gables. West, garden, front: two storeys with basement; two-window range. Drip course carried round external stack to right of centre which has cornice at eaves level. Ovolo-moulded mullioned-and-transomed windows, most with small-paned glazing, one with stained glass and one with plate glass; enriched window catches; two small two-light barred basement windows to plinth; ground floor has two cross-mullioned windows to left of stack and three-light transomed window to right; first floor has two three-light transomed windows. Three-storey; two-window range to left is of 18th century brick with later alterations; two-storey flat-roofed early 20th century bay window to left of segmental-headed window to each floor and two windows to second floor, all with 20th century casements; brick cross-axial stack. Coped gable end has central projection. East front adjacent to later wing has three-light transomed window to each floor. INTERIOR: entrance hall to east wing has re-set 17th century panelling; 17th century staircase has spindle-turned balusters, probably not original, the landing with 19th century balustrade of twisted and stop-chamfered balusters. Ground-floor room of 17th century wing has early 17th century panelling to half the height of the room; ashlar fireplace with moulded Tudor arch and spandrels has early 17th century wood chimneypiece with attached columns flanking fireplace and Ionic columns flanking overmantel with two round-headed panels with fluted pilaster between them and modillioned cornice to frieze with acanthus consoles and panels carved with dragons; 19th-20th century exposed joists.
3 An intermittent watching brief was carried out on the site during a variety of groundworks undertaken to alter the property. All trenches recorded either 19th/20th century made ground or undisturbed natural. No extent of the c.1604 has been revealed. In view of the well constructed fine ashlar wing that still remains, it is hard to believe that any further evidence of this 17th-century structure could have been erased from the site. This poses the question over whether the c.1604 building was ever completed.
4 Built in the late 16th or early 17th century; part of the building still survives having become a farmhouse at an early date. Sold in 1920 to Col. Robert Ogilby who lived there until 1936. Turned into the Warwickshire Institute of Agriculture in 1948. It is now the Warwickshire College of Agriculture. New buildings have been erected though the house and outbuildings survive unaltered and are a prime example of an Edwardian Country House.
 
Sources

Source No: 4
Source Type: Bibliographic reference
Title: Warwickshire Country Houses
Author/originator: Tyack G
Date: 1994
Page Number:
Volume/Sheet:
   
Source No: 2
Source Type: Statuatory List
Title: National Heritage List for England
Author/originator: Historic England
Date:
Page Number:
Volume/Sheet:
   
Source No: 1
Source Type: Unpublished document
Title: Moreton Manor, Moreton Morrell, Warwickshire: An Outline Architectural and Archaeological Assessment
Author/originator: Morriss R K
Date: 2006
Page Number:
Volume/Sheet:
   
Source No: 3
Source Type: Watching Brief Report
Title: Moreton Manor, Moreton Morrell, Warwickshire: Archaeological Watching Brief
Author/originator: Frost, P
Date: 2011
Page Number:
Volume/Sheet:
   
Images:  
There are no images associated with this record.  
back to top

Glossary

 
Word or Phrase
Description  
designation Listed Building Buildings and structures, such as bridges, that are of architectural or historical importance are placed on a statutory list. These buildings are protected by planning and conservation acts that ensure that their special features of interest are considered before any alterations are made to them.

Depending on how important the buildings are they are classed as Grade I, Grade II* or Grade II. Grade I buildings are those of exceptional interest. Grade II* are particularly important buildings of more than special interest. Those listed as Grade II are those buildings that are regarded of special interest.
back
period Modern The Modern Period, about 1915 AD to the present (the 20th and 21st centuries AD)

In recent years archaeologists have realised the importance of recording modern sites. They do this so that in the future people will be able to look at the remains to help them understand the events to which they are related.
more ->
back
period modern About 1915 AD to the present (the 20th and 21st centuries AD)

In recent years archaeologists have realised the importance of recording modern sites. They do this so that in the future people will be able to look at the remains to help them understand the events to which they are related.
more ->
back
monument COUNTRY HOUSE * The rural residence of a country gentleman. back
monument HOUSE * A building for human habitation, especially a dwelling place. Use more specific type where known. back
monument SITE * Unclassifiable site with minimal information. Specify site type wherever possible. back
monument HARD * A firm beach or foreshore used for landing and loading of ships and other vessels. In more recent times hards have been reinforced with concrete. back
monument INSTITUTE * A building in which a society or organization is instituted to promote science, art, literature, education, etc. Use more specific type where known. back
monument BUILDING * A structure with a roof to provide shelter from the weather for occupants or contents. Use specific type where known. back
monument MANOR HOUSE * The principal house of a manor or village. back
monument ARCH * A structure over an opening usually formed of wedge-shaped blocks of brick or stone held together by mutual pressure and supported at the sides; they can also be formed from moulded concrete/ cast metal. A component; use for free-standing structure only. back
monument BALUSTRADE * A row of balusters, usually made of stone, surmounted by a rail or coping. back
monument FLOOR * A layer of stone, brick or boards, etc, on which people tread. Use broader site type where known. back
monument DWELLING * Places of residence. back
monument FARMHOUSE * The main dwelling-house of a farm, it can be either detached from or attached to the working buildings. back
monument WELL * A shaft or pit dug in the ground over a supply of spring-water. back
monument OUTBUILDING * A detached subordinate building. Use specific type where known, eg. DAIRY. back
monument MANOR * An area of land consisting of the lord's demesne and of lands from whose holders he may exact certain fees, etc. back
monument WOOD * A tract of land with trees, sometimes acting as a boundary or barrier, usually smaller and less wild than a forest. back
monument COLLEGE * An establishment, often forming part of a university, for higher or tertiary education. back
monument TRENCH * An excavation used as a means of concealment, protection or both. back
monument TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING * A building constructed with a basic timber framework; between the members are panels which can be infilled with timber, wattle and daub, plaster, brick or other materials. back
monument COLUMN * Use for free standing column. back
monument GARDEN * An enclosed piece of ground devoted to the cultivation of flowers, fruit or vegetables and/or recreational purposes. Use more specific type where known. back
monument STRUCTURE * A construction of unknown function, either extant or implied by archaeological evidence. If known, use more specific type. back
monument BASEMENT * Component. Use wider site type where known. back
monument ROUND * A small, Iron Age/Romano-British enclosed settlement found in South West England. back
monument CROSS * A free-standing structure, in the form of a cross (+), symbolizing the structure on which Jesus Christ was crucified and sacred to the Christian faith. Use specific type where known. back

* Copyright of English Heritage (1999)

English Heritage National Monuments Record