Information for record number MWA12424:
Valley Farm Agricultural Buildings, Galley Common

Summary A farmhouse with attached agricultural buildings, dating from the early 18th century with additions in the early 19th century. It date s from the Post-Medieval to the Imperial period.
What Is It?  
Type: Farmhouse, Cow House
Period: Imperial - Industrial (1700 AD - 1833 AD)
Where Is It?  
Parish: Nuneaton and Bedworth
District: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire
Grid Reference: SP 31 91
(Data represented on this map shows the current selected record as a single point, this is for illustrative purposes only and does not represent an accurate or complete representation of archaeological sites or features)
Level of Protection National - Old SMR PrefRef (Grade: )
Sites & Monuments Record

Source Number  

1 Valley Farm. A farmhouse with attached agricultural buildings, dating from the early 18th century with additions in the early 19th century. The original early 18th century building has a single storey and attic, and three bays, part square timber frame with replacement brick infill; a further rendered two-storey bay to the north dates from the early 19th century together with a single storey gabled extension to the south, of brick. The roof is of plain clay tile. The building is rectangular on plan, a simple single-depth range; the two northernmost bays form the farmhouse; the central bay was formerly used as a cow byre; and the final bay, together with the single-storey extension to the south, is agricultural storage. The exterior of the farmhouse. The western elevation is the entrance front; the three central bays have the remains of square panel timber framing with later brick infill in a mixture of bonds. The fenestration is irregular and includes a single dormer to the lower bay of the house, and rooflights to the agricultural portion of the building. In addition to the door to the house, a further door has been introduced to the former dairy. The single storey extension to the south has a decorative gable with dentiled verges and kneelers built in brick; there are two segment-headed window openings to the gable end, one now blocked, the other partially so. The rear (eastern) elevation also retains some of its timber framing; the framing is set more closely than on the main elevation, but there is similar irregular brick infill of various dates. There are double barn doors to the single storey extension, a stable door to the former cow byre and an entrance door to the lower bay of the house. The fenestration, all on the ground floor, is irregular. The interior of the farmhouse consist of two bays. The ground floor room of the earlier bay has a chamfered and scroll end stopped beam running north-south, and the site of a former fireplace is visible in this bay. There is a timber winder stair behind a plank and batten door at the north of this bay. The later bay extends to the north, and has a single chamfered beam with run out stops running east-west, with a further chamfered beam across the fireplace opening at the north. There is a single room above each bay, that to the earlier bay having exposed single purlins. A plank and batten door leads off the landing into the room in the later bay. The Cowshed bay is open to the roof, which exposes the entire roof structure. Trusses consist of principal rafters, crossed at the top to clasp the diagonally set ridge piece; a tie beam and collar; and upright struts between the tie beam and collar. The single purlins rest on the outer faces of the principals, and there are diagonal braces between the purlins and the principals. Timber wall framing is visible in the interior. The Storage bay has similar roof structure to the cowshed, and some exposed timber framing to the east wall. To the ground floor, the room has been divided across its width to provide a narrow dairy, accessed from the west, and a storage room to the east. An inserted 19th century floor divides the bay horizontally, and the upper floor is accessed via a timber, open-tread stair. A 19th or early 20th century fireplace and stack have been removed from the first floor room. The applicant helpfully provided the results of his extensive documentary research into the history of the former Manor of Stockingford, now part of the Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth. The most relevant documents are: 1) a 1690 survey of the lands owned by the Lord of the Manor of Stockingford, Sir Willoughby Aston; 2) a 1746 survey for Lord Paget, the Earl of Uxbridge, 3) the 1841 Census; and 4) the 1842 tithe map and apportionment. The 1690 document implies that the land had already been enclosed and divided by this date, and the applicant therefore concludes that the present farmhouse dates from the 17th century, though no mention is made specifically of the building. Similarly, the 1746 document contains no mention of the house, though the plot is recorded as being leased out and with a tenant in place, which implies that it was a steading by this time. The farmhouse was definitely present by 1841, when it was in the holding of Thomas Parker, Farmer, and the 1842 tithe map shows the building in its current form, together with the L-shaped outbuildings still present on the site. Stylistically, the building appears to date largely from the early 18th century, with a single bay to the north, now part of the habited area, having been added in the early 19th century, and a single-storey bay to the south from the same date. This is supported by the documentary evidence submitted by the applicant. The historic Ordinance Survey map series shows no changes to the footprint of the building during the period 1887-1914 other than the removal of a lean-to structure against the north wall, and the addition of another lean-to to the east, which has only recently been removed.

Source No: 1
Source Type: Internet Data
Title: National Monument Record (Pastscape)
Author/originator: English Heritage
Page Number:
There are no images associated with this record.  
back to top


Word or Phrase
technique Documentary Evidence Documentary evidence is another name for written records. The first written records in Britain date back to the Roman period. Documentary evidence can take many different forms, including maps, charters, letters and written accounts. When archaeologists are researching a site, they often start by looking at documentary evidence to see if there are clues that will help them understand what they might find. Documentary evidence can help archaeologists understand sites that are discovered during an excavation, field survey or aerial survey. back
period Medieval 1066 AD to 1539 AD (the 11th century AD to the 16th century AD)

The medieval period comes after the Saxon period and before the post medieval period.

The Medieval period begins in 1066 AD.
This was the year that the Normans, led by William the Conqueror (1066 – 1087), invaded England and defeated Harold Godwinson at the Battle of Hastings in East Sussex.
The Medieval period includes the first half of the Tudor period (1485 – 1603 AD), when the Tudor family reigned in England and eventually in Scotland too.

The end of the Medieval period is marked by Henry VIII’s (1509 – 1547) order for the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the years running up to 1539 AD. The whole of this period is sometimes called the Middle Ages.
more ->
period Imperial 1751 AD to 1914 AD (end of the 18th century AD to the beginning of the 20th century AD)

This period comes after the Post Medieval period and before the modern period and starts with beginning of the Industrial Revolution in 1750. It includes the second part of the Hannoverian period (1714 – 1836) and the Victorian period (1837 – 1901). The Imperial period ends with the start of the First World War in 1914.
more ->
monument HOUSE * A building for human habitation, especially a dwelling place. Use more specific type where known. back
monument SITE * Unclassifiable site with minimal information. Specify site type wherever possible. back
monument BUILDING * A structure with a roof to provide shelter from the weather for occupants or contents. Use specific type where known. back
monument COW HOUSE * A building in which cattle are housed overnight, normally tethered in stalls. back
monument FLOOR * A layer of stone, brick or boards, etc, on which people tread. Use broader site type where known. back
monument FOOTPRINT * An impression made in soft ground by a passing animal or human. The soft ground may have subsequently hardened. back
monument FARMHOUSE * The main dwelling-house of a farm, it can be either detached from or attached to the working buildings. back
monument INDUSTRIAL * This is the top term for the class. See INDUSTRIAL Class List for narrow terms. back
monument AGRICULTURAL BUILDING * A building used for an agricultural and/or subsistence purpose. Use more specific type where known. back
monument OUTBUILDING * A detached subordinate building. Use specific type where known, eg. DAIRY. back
monument MANOR * An area of land consisting of the lord's demesne and of lands from whose holders he may exact certain fees, etc. back
monument DAIRY * A building or group of buildings used for the making, processing, storing and selling of milk and other dairy products. back
monument SQUARE * An open space or area, usually square in plan, in a town or city, enclosed by residential and/or commercial buildings, frequently containing a garden or laid out with trees. back
monument STRUCTURE * A construction of unknown function, either extant or implied by archaeological evidence. If known, use more specific type. back
monument BARN * A building for the storage and processing of grain crops and for housing straw, farm equipment and occasionally livestock and their fodder. Use more specific type where known. back
monument STABLE * A building in which horses are accommodated. back
monument FARM * A tract of land, often including a farmhouse and ancillary buildings, used for the purpose of cultivation and the rearing of livestock, etc. Use more specific type where known. back
monument WALL * An enclosing structure composed of bricks, stones or similar materials, laid in courses. Use specific type where known. back

* Copyright of English Heritage (1999)

English Heritage National Monuments Record