Information for record number MWA3346:
Church of St Michael and All Angels, Brownsover Lane, Brownsover

Summary A small Anglican church, originally a chapel of ease, dedicated to St Michael and All Angels. The building dates from the 13th century, and was largely rebuilt in 1876-7 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in a sympathetic Early English style.
What Is It?  
Type: Anglican Church, Lancet Window
Period: Modern (1200 AD - 2050 AD)
Where Is It?  
Parish: Rugby
District: Rugby, Warwickshire
Grid Reference: SP 50 77
(Data represented on this map shows the current selected record as a single point, this is for illustrative purposes only and does not represent an accurate or complete representation of archaeological sites or features)
Level of Protection National - Old SMR PrefRef (Grade: )
Listed Building (Grade: II*)
Sites & Monuments Record

Source Number  

1 Chancel (6m by 4m) and nave (9.1m by 7.5m). Built in the early 13th century and its plan has not been materially altered since. Further windows inserted later in the Medieval period, and at various times after the Reformation seven brick buttresses and a W porch were added. The church suffered a drastic restoration, being almost entirely rebuilt in 1877 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Brownsover was from the 12th century onwards a chapelry of Clifton on Dunsmore.
5 The church is built from cream coloured coursed stone rubble with reddish-brown freestone dressings. The roof is covered in plain clay tiles and has pierced ridge tiles. There are decorated cast iron rainwater goods of the 19th century. PLAN: The plan is a simple nave and chancel, with a small, later lean-to in the north east corner between nave and chancel; the church is entered from the west. EXTERIOR: The building is a high single storey, the nave having diagonal buttresses to the west end, a moulded plinth and string course. The west end has two high-set, single light windows with cinquefoil heads, and a gabled bracket for the bell set high in the gable. The only entrance is through a small, pointed arched moulded doorway with drip mould, housing a 19th century door with elaborate hinges. This is flanked by two-light pointed arched windows with simple Y-tracery without cusping. They each have drip moulds with male and female heads as stops. The windows to the north and south sides of the nave are similar, those to the north apparently dating from the 13th century; there is also an early lancet in the east wall of the nave. The chancel has diagonal buttresses, sprocketted eaves and paired lancets to the north and south, and a single 13th century lancet to the south. The east window is of three cusped lights and a triangular head, dating from the 15th century. INTERIOR: The interior is largely plastered and whitewashed. The chancel arch appears to date from the 13th or 14th century; it is two-centred, with a half-round moulding to one side and a chamfer to the other. There is some further internal stone work surviving from the Medieval phase of the building. The south wall has a small shallow piscina with its bowl and drain intact. The nave and chancel have 19th century polychrome floor tiles. The roof structure dates from the 19th century, springing from wooden corbels, and has cambered tie beams, curved braces to a collar beam, and king posts. The east window has stained glass dating from the early 20th centurry, dedicated to Lawrence Sheriff, the founder of Rugby School. All the other windows have plain glass. The circular font dates from the 13th century; it has a small tub bowl with a recessed concave moulding, tall banded stem and moulded base. There is a variety of timber fittings throughout the church, of various dates and origins. There is a fine rectangular screen, made up of elements dating from the 15th century and later. The pulpit is Flemish and dates from the 18th century; it has 17th century wall panelling to the rear, set on the east wall of the nave. The German organ is housed in a richly decorated case dating from the Restoration period, which was brought to the church from St John's College, Cambridge in the late 19th century.

Source No: 2
Source Type: Bibliographic reference
Title: Victoria County History, vol 6, Warwickshire
Author/originator: Salzman L F (ed)
Date: 1951
Page Number:
Volume/Sheet: VI
Source No: 3
Source Type: Bibliographic reference
Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire
Author/originator: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A
Date: 1966
Page Number:
Volume/Sheet: Warwicks
Source No: 1
Source Type: Bibliographic reference
Title: Victoria County History, vol 6, Warwickshire
Author/originator: Salzman L F (ed)
Date: 1951
Page Number:
Volume/Sheet: VI
Source No: 5
Source Type: Statuatory List
Title: National Heritage List for England
Author/originator: Historic England
Page Number:
Source No: 4
Source Type: Record Card/Form
Title: OS Card 14NE9
Author/originator: Ordnance Survey
Page Number:
Volume/Sheet: 14NE9
There are no images associated with this record.  
back to top


Word or Phrase
designation Listed Building Buildings and structures, such as bridges, that are of architectural or historical importance are placed on a statutory list. These buildings are protected by planning and conservation acts that ensure that their special features of interest are considered before any alterations are made to them.

Depending on how important the buildings are they are classed as Grade I, Grade II* or Grade II. Grade I buildings are those of exceptional interest. Grade II* are particularly important buildings of more than special interest. Those listed as Grade II are those buildings that are regarded of special interest.
source OS Card Ordnance Survey Record Card. Before the 1970s the Ordnance Survey (OS) were responsible for recording archaeological monuments during mapping exercises. This helped the Ordnance Survey to decide which monuments to publish on maps. During these exercises the details of the monuments were written down on record cards. Copies of some of the cards are kept at the Warwickshire Sites and Monuments Record. The responsibility for recording archaeological monuments later passed to the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historic Monuments. back
period Modern The Modern Period, about 1915 AD to the present (the 20th and 21st centuries AD)

In recent years archaeologists have realised the importance of recording modern sites. They do this so that in the future people will be able to look at the remains to help them understand the events to which they are related.
more ->
period Medieval 1066 AD to 1539 AD (the 11th century AD to the 16th century AD)

The medieval period comes after the Saxon period and before the post medieval period.

The Medieval period begins in 1066 AD.
This was the year that the Normans, led by William the Conqueror (1066 – 1087), invaded England and defeated Harold Godwinson at the Battle of Hastings in East Sussex.
The Medieval period includes the first half of the Tudor period (1485 – 1603 AD), when the Tudor family reigned in England and eventually in Scotland too.

The end of the Medieval period is marked by Henry VIII’s (1509 – 1547) order for the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the years running up to 1539 AD. The whole of this period is sometimes called the Middle Ages.
more ->
period modern About 1915 AD to the present (the 20th and 21st centuries AD)

In recent years archaeologists have realised the importance of recording modern sites. They do this so that in the future people will be able to look at the remains to help them understand the events to which they are related.
more ->
monument PULPIT * Use as an external architectural feature only. back
monument SCHOOL * An establishment in which people, usually children, are taught. back
monument BUILDING * A structure with a roof to provide shelter from the weather for occupants or contents. Use specific type where known. back
monument STONE * Use only where stone is natural or where there is no indication of function. back
monument ARCH * A structure over an opening usually formed of wedge-shaped blocks of brick or stone held together by mutual pressure and supported at the sides; they can also be formed from moulded concrete/ cast metal. A component; use for free-standing structure only. back
monument FLOOR * A layer of stone, brick or boards, etc, on which people tread. Use broader site type where known. back
monument DRAIN * An artificial channel for draining water or carrying it off. back
monument CHURCH * A building used for public Christian worship. Use more specific type where known. back
monument PISCINA * A perforated stone basin usually built into the wall of a church on the south side of the altar. Used for carrying away the ablutions (wine and water used to rinse the chalice, and wash the priests hands after communion). back
monument COLLEGE * An establishment, often forming part of a university, for higher or tertiary education. back
monument FONT * A vessel, usually made of stone, which contains the consecrated water for baptism. Use a broader monument type if possible. back
monument STRUCTURE * A construction of unknown function, either extant or implied by archaeological evidence. If known, use more specific type. back
monument ROUND * A small, Iron Age/Romano-British enclosed settlement found in South West England. back
monument CHAPEL OF EASE * A church built within the bounds of a parish for the attendance of those who cannot reach the parish church conveniently. back
monument ANGLICAN CHURCH * Any church of the Anglican Communion. back
monument WALL * An enclosing structure composed of bricks, stones or similar materials, laid in courses. Use specific type where known. back

* Copyright of English Heritage (1999)

English Heritage National Monuments Record